[rescue] emulation fun

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Feb 2 10:24:42 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 07:35:25AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> You have the dubious distinction of being the top hit when you google
> "z/os 1.6 Hercules"...

I changed the picture title, so hopefully that will fall off in a couple of
days.  I don't want IBM sending the sharks after me when I'm just playing
around and trying to learn about their products to be a better sysadmin.

> Getting a z/os image to run must have been non-trivial...

Actually what I downloaded was preconfigured with a Hercules config file;
someone else did all the heavy lifting already.

If they offered an "eval" version of z/OS, I'd go after it in a heartbeat,
even if it cost $100.  They offer z/VM 5.3 as an eval, but there's a couple
bits in Hercules that have to be fixed before it will run (and it requires
3G of RAM minimum).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford