[rescue] Looking for some used EPROM chips...

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 07:43:45 CST 2009

--- On Sun, 2/1/09, Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 01 February 2009, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

> > I'm working on a project that needs some EPROM
> chips - larger ones
> > than I have scavenged over the years. Primarily, I
> need 8 megabit
> > chips - 27c080 or similar, but I also am looking for
> 4's and 2's.
> >
> > Anyone have some superfluous scavenged 'bugs'
> they could part with?
>
> Is there any reason that you don't want to use flash
> instead of an
> EPROM?  For a new design, I'd much rather use flash
> over an EPROM.

Well, there's a few reasons, and maybe partly because I've never used flash for anything, but I avoid them...

1) I have nothing that can program a flash chip. Unless there's some function of my PB-10 EPROM programmer that I am unaware of.

2) I've not seen DIP package 8mbit flash chips. By the time they got to the larger sizes, flash chips got to be these tiny surface mount things. I don't feel like spending tons of time trying to adapt them to fit in DIP sockets.

3) I'm using this as a semi-permanent/permanent ROM, not something that I'm developing on and will need to reprogram many times. The quick erase-reprogram is not feature I need or care about.

4) I like EPROMS :) I have all the equipment to use them, and I find them to be fast and efficient for my purposes. I'm comfortable working with them, and I know how to wire them up and can be sure that they'll work the way I want them to. I use them all the time, in all sizes, for all kinds of things. I'm just looking for the larger sizes right now because I need some and don't have any.

I'd gladly give a home to any wayward EPROMs - some of them feel awfully abandoned right now. They're upset because people shun them favor of these flashy new technologies. The flash chips taunt them and call them names, and the EPROMs are running out of comebacks. "I'm not fat, I'm just ceramic packaged!".

<grin>

-Ian