[rescue] needed: u1 NVRAM chip

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed Sep 24 17:30:36 CDT 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Carl R. Friend wrote:

>   I don't mind running "museum pieces" at home or in a museum, but
> running them in a 24x7x365.25 environment with no support contracts
> just gives me the willies.  And, not to mention, that $boss wants
> 3 or 4 "nines" out of it.

does replacing a working machine with that level of reliability (3 or 4
9's) actually increase the likelyhood of continued uptime?   my work
environment is all "museum pieces" with no support contracts and although
the sample of machines is small (around a dozen) compared to the large
installations some of the others on the list work at, is the experience
that machines die or are they replaced for more capable machines that
conserve space and power?

-ron