[rescue] needed: u1 NVRAM chip

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 09:45:13 CDT 2008

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:47:19PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>>> but I shouldn't be running into this problem in a production
>>> environment.
>> Agreed.  I'm surprised work isn't just springing for a new chip from
>> Mouser or some such....
>
> If they're cheap enough to be running a U1 as a license server still, do
> you REALLY think they want to spend ANY money on it?  I'm the sysadmin, I'm
> supposed to wave my magic wand and fix it! 8-)

Sounds like it's time for you to stop waving the magic wand and making
things happen. Seriously, we've all been in situations like this. The
company needs to realize that sometimes you've just got to spend money
to get things working. This kind of attitude eventually spills over into
other areas such as compensation, benefits, and worse of all employee
treatment.

I worked for FAR too long for an outsourced IT department. The techs
were fighting over G4 Sawtooths as "new" computers when the G5 had been
out for a year and was getting actively deployed to customer desks.
Desktop Windows machines were a bit better, they were only 4 years old
at the time.

We also didn't have an office supply budget, it had to be approved by
the VP of our division, 3000 miles away.

--
Rick Hamell
Tech Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog