[rescue] The end of SPARC workstations?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 12 14:39:57 CDT 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> I've just been checking sun.com, and I see that they don't list any
> SPARC-based systems on the "desktops and workstations" page.

Nope, there aren't any.

> Is this the end?

Possibly.  I suspect they weren't selling very well, as the
price/performance ratio just doesn't line up very well.  Sun seem bent on
making Solaris run as well (or better) on x86 than SPARC, so there isn't a
whole lot of "value add" for a SPARC system over x86 unless you have a
specific need for that architecture or have the infrastructure to support
a large-enough Sun system where SPARC regains the performance advantage.

> When did this happen?

The start of this month.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi