[rescue] Sun Postscript Mouse Pad

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 10:12:12 CDT 2008

Those hour ratings for LEDs generally mean after 50,000 hours of use at them
maximum rated current, they dim to 70% brightness.  This is the level at
which the average person will notice that the light is dimmer.  This is 70%
as measured on a photometer, not the eye (our Mk I eyeballs are on a log
scale).   Some of the new ones are rated for 95% brightness after 100,000
hours!  If you run below the max current rating, these numbers go way up.
Running an ordinary LED at half current can make them last for decades of
continuous use.