[rescue] hp-ux

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Mon Nov 3 12:16:43 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski
<rambo at id.uw.edu.pl> wrote:

> 10.20's biggest
> culprint was supposed Y2K incompatibility, although AFAIK this was
> eventually fixed.

Nope, 9.0x was the one that was supposed to be Y2K incompatible.
Nonetheless,  we saw several 9.0[35] production systems through
Dec 31, 1999 without a hiccup.

10.20 was one of HP's best HPUXen, but it did have many wrinkles.
Such as the fact that /tmp was mode 777, not 1777; that /usr/local/bin
was mode 777; and that libc contained snprintf, yet there was no
entry in the header files for this rather important function (we had to
make our own).  And don't try mounting a CDROM with Rock Ridge
extensions...

11.11 (a.k.a. 11i) was an improvement, but required a bigger box,
as has been mentioned.  Rumour had it that HP lost the kernel source
for several critical HPPB peripherals, and had to suddenly drop them
from 11i. Hence the lack of support for the E, F, G, H, and I class
machines in 11i.  Can anyone confirm this?

For a 712, I'd recommend 10.20.  10.10, 10.30, and 11.00 were awful;
don't waste your time with them.

Whichever one you try, the latest patch bundles are indispensible.

Andrew