[rescue] Firewire on a U5

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Mar 9 16:52:21 CDT 2008

On an Ultra 5, I'm trying to use a firewire disk.

I installed a NEC+ALI FW/USB combo card, which I thought had a supported
chipset.

I did a reboot -- -r.

Afterwards, prtdiag says this:

     Bus#  Freq
Brd  Type  MHz   Slot  Name                              Model
---  ----  ----  ----  --------------------------------
----------------------
 0   PCI-1  33     1   ebus
 0   PCI-1  33     1   network-SUNW,hme
 0   PCI-1  33     2   SUNW,m64B                         ATY,GT-C
 0   PCI-1  33     3   ide-pci1095,646
 0   PCI-2  33     2   scsi-glm                          Symbios,53C875
 0   PCI-2  33     3   usb-pci10b9,5272
 0   PCI-2  33     3   usb-pci10b9,5272
 0   PCI-2  33     3   usb-pci10b9,5272
 0   PCI-2  33     3   usb-pci10b9,5272
 0   PCI-2  33     3   firewire-pci10b9,5253

And when I connect a drive, I see no events in dmesg.

Is there something else I'm supposed to do to make this work?