[rescue] Deciding how to place machines in a rack...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Mar 6 13:13:58 CST 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008, Brian Deloria wrote:
> Do you have a URL on one of these?

http://www.genielift.com/ml-series/ml-1-3.asp

Definately nice to use.  There's also some smaller varieties.

I've determined from personal experience that it's much easier to rack
mount (or de-mount) an IBM SP high node (about 8U tall, 24" rack,
300lbs) using one of these than trying to do it by hand, though I've
done it both ways.

Racking one by yourself by hand is not much fun, and rather time
consuming, but it is possible to tear the thing down to bits that are
small and light enough to handle by yourself with minimal chance of
crushed, bruised, broken, cut, torn, or otherwise disfigured body
parts. (They're made by IBM, so dropping one from 6' onto concrete will
damage the concrete more than the machine itself...)

Pat