[rescue] Sun Blade 1000 help/problems

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 21 20:11:35 CDT 2008

>From: Halford Johnson <halfordjohnson at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/06/21 Sat AM 10:05:41 EDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun Blade 1000 help/problems

>I recently bought a SB1K and a SATA card as well, I have heard rumors it
>would be possible to attach an addition drive cage to it, is this possible?
>has anyone ever done it?  To use this as a raidz file server I'd need at
>least 3 drives in addition to the 2 that it already has internally..

If the controller is compatible with Solaris/ZFS/etc, and you connect them using eSATA connections (and proper "eSATA" cables) it should work fine. Is there some specific incompatibility you are concerned about?

eSATA chassis are a bit pricey, esp if you want multiple devices in one case. There are some bit that are designed to help you "rewire" SCSI chassis to accept SATA drives, though I don't have any links at the moment...

Lionel