[rescue] 611 cases & cables

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 15:04:35 CDT 2008

On Jun 15, 2008, at 1:51 PM, Curious George wrote:

> --- On Sat, 6/14/08, Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Exactly!  Unfortunately, I can't find *an* OS that
>> supports
>>> all these different drives.  E.g., Slowaris chokes on
>> the
>>> M.O. drives...
>>
>> That's odd.  Back in the '90's we had a giant
>> MO jukebox running under
>> Solaris for archiving.  We also had jukes with MO's in
>> a Commvault
>> backup system.
>>
>> Sounds like a configuration issue to me.  Solaris
>> shouldn't care if
>> it's MO or anything else if the abstraction layer is
>> properly
>> interfaced to the hardware.
>
> I suspect the MO's you were using had 512 byte sectors?
> *Or*, you had some third-party *glue* between Solaris and
> the drives themselves (performing some blocking algorithm).
>

> From what I have seen, Solaris does not like 1024 byte sectors.

Couldn't tell you, I supported a different business unit and only
heard the rants from the sys admin that "owned" the jukes (ranting b/c
the jukes were finicky about new media, moving media, and he had PITA
users).  I could probably ask him for a little more info, if you
like.  Iirc, the jukes were HP kit, so that might be a path to check
out.

=Nadine=