[rescue] Moth balls

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri Jun 13 11:20:14 CDT 2008

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> If it has a paper-tape reader and punch, it's an ASR-33.
>>
>> If it doesn't, it's a KSR-33.
>
> Weren't there print-only versions? (Like you see in the movie
> newsrooms)

    Yep.  That was the "RO" (Receive Only) version.  I've seen
pictures of them, but never one in person.

> A very nice interim step would be a dot matrix printer, say like
> an Epson MX-80, or one of those nice 24 pin Panasonic impact
> printers...

    I have an old Panasonic that occasionally comes out of hiding
when I need a hardcopy of something.  It plugs into a network
box that has serial and parallel (Centronix) interfaces on it,
and my main server knows how to talk to it.