[rescue] Heatsink spacer for Mobile Athlon 64 CPU

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 17:51:12 CDT 2008

Hi,
I have a Shuttle small form-factor (SFF) system that uses old
socket 754 Athlon 64 CPUs.  If I were to do a low(ish)-budget CPU
upgrade of this box, I would need to use a Mobile Athlon 64 CPU.
However, since the Mobile A64 CPUs are "lidless" and have a lower
profile than their desktop counterparts, the heatsink/fan in the SFF
probably won't fit right, and/or could damage the CPU core.  The
heatsink/fan in this SFF is proprietary and not easily replaceable, so I need
to see if it's possible to make it work with a Mobile A64, rather than
just swapping out the whole heatsink/fan setup.  Apparently, spacers exist
that sit atop a lidless CPU to prevent the heatsink from crushing the
core.  Even with the spacer, I may also need a shim between the
CPU/spacer and heatsink, due to the lower profile.  Does anyone know of
a source for at least the spacers in question?  I can't seem to dig up
much information on them.  At least one person said they were included
with certain motherboards of that era; any pointers are appreciated.  I'm hoping the spacers aren't made of unobtainium.

thanks!
Jonathan