[rescue] Iris Indigo Elan - can't determine CPU speed

Halford Johnson halfordjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 23:03:52 CDT 2008

So I used to use a Iris Indigo R4400 machine as my workstation 5-6 years ago
until it was replaced with a Indigo2 R10k and has sat ever since.  I just
now tried to boot it up with a serial console hooked to it, and I am getting
strange behavior.  I hear the disks start to spin and the RAM counting up,
but I only see "Can't determine CPU speed" on the serial console, nothing
ever happens.  So I took out the Elan card and tried to boot it with no
graphics card, and I, again, get "Cant determine CPU speed".  This time
though, it falls into a seemingly endless loop of "Initializing tod clock
setting secs=0 min=0 hour=0 day=1 month=1 year=0  Initializing tod clock
setting secs=0 min=0 hour=0 day=1 month=1 year=0 Can't set tod clock".

Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior?  I know its an old crappy
machine but this thing was once my baby and I want it to hum once more. :(