[rescue] Suggestions for AIX devel system?

Aaron Finley nerp at atfinley.com
Thu Jul 31 08:52:06 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Adam Kropelin wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
> Pick up a 44P-170.  (7044-170)  They come in three speeds, 333MHz,
> 375MHz and 450MHz.  All chips are POWER3-II.  Any of them will do the
> job.  I recommend 2GB RAM or more.

Speaking of 44Ps: A local surplus operation just scrapped around 10
44P-270s. I visit on a bi-monthly basis (used to be twice daily!) and on
my latest visit they were loading them in the scrap truck. Fully loaded
all of them, but I was told they had been sitting out in the rain for
weeks. This place has no understanding of anything but Windows machines
and sells at a rate of $5-10 per machine unless it says 'Dell'. Since
this place supports a major state university, I made an absolute killing
for a number of years.

I was quite sad, not least of all because of how much money I could have
made if I had caught them when they came in.

-- Aaron