[rescue] Suggestions for AIX devel system?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Jul 30 22:45:30 CDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 6:35 PM, Adam Kropelin wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am looking for some advice on a cheap AIX system for basic
> software development use. I maintain a free software package
> (apcupsd) and occasionally have users report build problems, etc. on
> AIX. I have nearly every other platform covered, either with real
> hardware or vm sessions on a PeeCee. But AIX is a noticeable hole in
> my arsenal.
>
> I'm completely clueless on RS6000 and POWER hardware and so am
> looking for some guidance on what models to consider when scouring
> ebay, etc. All I need is something capable of running a vaguely
> recent version of AIX (say, 5.x although 6.x support would also be
> nice) and has enough horsepower to do a bit of C/C++ compiling. I
> don't need a GUI. I'd be perfectly happy with an RS232 console port
> and a network jack. Ideally I'd like to keep the expenditure as far
> under $500 as possible...although a quick look at ebay says perhaps
> that is not doable.
>
> Something roughly equivalent to a Sunblade 100 or 450 MHz Apple G4
> would be fine, as those are serving me well already.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I for one report that apcupsd worked well on my RS/6000 F50 in 32 bit
mode but was useless on my B80 running 64 bit AIX and compiled as a 64
bit app.  The program dies when the power fails.  I might be able to
give you access for development purposes to my B80.  I also have the
workstation equivalent which is a 44P-470 (not a real designation but
it's a 270 with 4 procs).  These are POWER3-II's at 375 Mhz with 8MB
cache per proc and 2GB of RAM.  They run up to 5.3.

For AIX 6 you require a POWER 4+ (non +?) I believe.

Regards,