[rescue] Suggestions for AIX devel system?

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jul 30 17:35:57 CDT 2008

Folks,

I am looking for some advice on a cheap AIX system for basic software
development use. I maintain a free software package (apcupsd) and
occasionally have users report build problems, etc. on AIX. I have nearly
every other platform covered, either with real hardware or vm sessions on a
PeeCee. But AIX is a noticeable hole in my arsenal.

I'm completely clueless on RS6000 and POWER hardware and so am looking for
some guidance on what models to consider when scouring ebay, etc. All I
need is something capable of running a vaguely recent version of AIX (say,
5.x although 6.x support would also be nice) and has enough horsepower to
do a bit of C/C++ compiling. I don't need a GUI. I'd be perfectly happy
with an RS232 console port and a network jack. Ideally I'd like to keep the
expenditure as far under $500 as possible...although a quick look at ebay
says perhaps that is not doable.

Something roughly equivalent to a Sunblade 100 or 450 MHz Apple G4 would be
fine, as those are serving me well already.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

--Adam