[rescue] [geeks] Free: Sun GDM20D10

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezicsb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 03:45:54 CDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Ten or eleven years ago, I managed to acquire an IBM 6091-19 19" monitor
> and got it working with Windows and X11.
>
> It was constructed as was typical of the IBM equipment of the time.
>
> Everyone that saw it said "Holy crap, now THAT is a monitor!"
>
> http://www.acc.umu.se/images/comp/raketa7.jpg

Holy crap.  That looks like an IBM monitor I received back in 1991 or
so... a real beast. Now, of all computer companies in the world, you'd
think IBM had long ago figured out how to ship one safely.  You'd
think.

I was working for a small software company at the time.  Our software
didn't run on AIX and IBM wanted it to, so they provided an RS/6000 as
a porting platform.  But not a new one, it seems.  It looked like they
just grabbed a machine off an engineers desk and threw it in a box.
Literally.

The monitor, which weighed half a ton, showed up rattling around in a
box with a few random pieces of foam, and they may have waved a few
loose packing peanuts over it.  The box was almost spherical - all the
edges and corners rounded off.  It looked like UPS had rolled it down
an escalator.  The monitor's bezel was cracked in several places, the
base was broken, and all sorts of loose bits of plastic fell out of
the box.  Fire extinguisher at the ready, we plugged it in and turned
it on.

Worked fine.

-- Chris