[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 68, Issue 12

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Jul 14 09:11:59 CDT 2008

From: Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net>

> Wrong!  They hadn't developed the 286 then.  I Googled Tandy 2000 and the
first two listed said 80186 in the description, so this time, I'm not losing my
> mind. :)  Not many machines used that chip.
>
> I think Tandy did some other odd stuff with the later 1000 models. Like
> 80286 chips, but never wired 16 bit slots out and such.
>
> > IIRC the Model 6000 ran Xenix.  The 2000 was Tandy's answer to the XT.
>
> 6000 was the multi-user business system. A local said he had 2 of them for
> me but never delivered. 8" floppy drive and 8" hard drive (MFM perhaps?,
> 10GB I think).

Did they have drives that big then.  I think you meant 10 MB. :)  So hard remembering what it was like back then.

> My first PC was the 1000SX, which was a more PC compatible IBM PCJrish
> thing. I remember I could never add a VGA card to it (everyone said it
> wouldn't work) because of issues with the interrupts. I did add other
> cards which people swore wouldn't work. Ours (family PC) ended up with a
> 8087 math co-processor. A 16550 UART was required on the serial card or
> she would drop characters @ 14400bps. The 3 voice sound and 16 color
> "PCJr" style graphics made Sierra games (and others that supported the
> mode) great.

I still have a 1000HX to which I put in a V80 chip (original CPU on steroids) and a 40 MB hard drive.  The hard drive fit the other floppy would have gone but the controller board had to lay in the "expansion" bay at an angle with an adapter cable because there was no room except for their specially made boards which were very few.  I believe the bus was laid out like a standard ISA but weird connectors and no room for standard boards.  It was about the same size as an Apple IIe and kinda looked like on too.

Bob