[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 68, Issue 12

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Sun Jul 13 22:05:05 CDT 2008

> Wrong!  They hadn't developed the 286 then.  I Googled Tandy 2000 and the first two listed said 80186 in the description, so this time, I'm not losing my mind. :)  Not many machines used that chip.

I think Tandy did some other odd stuff with the later 1000 models. Like
80286 chips, but never wired 16 bit slots out and such.

> IIRC the Model 6000 ran Xenix.  The 2000 was Tandy's answer to the XT.

6000 was the multi-user business system. A local said he had 2 of them for
me but never delivered. 8" floppy drive and 8" hard drive (MFM perhaps?,
10GB I think).

My first PC was the 1000SX, which was a more PC compatible IBM PCJrish
thing. I remember I could never add a VGA card to it (everyone said it
wouldn't work) because of issues with the interrupts. I did add other
cards which people swore wouldn't work. Ours (family PC) ended up with a
8087 math co-processor. A 16550 UART was required on the serial card or
she would drop characters @ 14400bps. The 3 voice sound and 16 color
"PCJr" style graphics made Sierra games (and others that supported the
mode) great.