[rescue] LCD Screen Trouble

Charles Monett camonett at woh.rr.com
Fri Jul 11 15:07:52 CDT 2008

I've managed to salvage an LCD that has some issue with artifacts across
the screen - they only appear when they cross two blurred vertical lines
across the right side of the screen, and only with certain colors.  What
also puzzles me is that the on-screen setup is not affected (unless I
should trigger the defect, and it obliges to display what is under it).
What I'm wanting to figure out is what's causing this particular defect,
as my only guesses are the inverter or panel.

Console(where the vertical bars are):
http://shinra.shelldeny.com/images/displays/console.jpg

Full-screen (triggering the most artifacts):
http://shinra.shelldeny.com/images/displays/fullscreen_4.jpg

An image taken to highlight the artifacts(full screen):
http://shinra.shelldeny.com/images/displays/with_flash_fullscreen.jpg

Partial (only does the single bar):
http://shinra.shelldeny.com/images/displays/partial.jpg

Demonstration of color-dependent artifact(Warning: is large, see upper
right corner of image):
http://shinra.shelldeny.com/images/displays/large_images/sony_x_desktop2.jpg

Note that the artifacts stretch across the screen -  but only when
crossing both vertical lines, and on certain colors.  As for testing,
this happens independent of whatever is driving the display.