[rescue] Sun 21" CRTs (was: Feedback on Sun 24" LCD?)

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Mon Jul 7 16:20:17 CDT 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Robert Darlington wrote:

> Hey, my NeXT color monitor does something similar.  It ticks or
> something, the picture jumps a little bit, and then it's fine again
> for a couple of minutes.   My guess is something is arcing over, but
> don't know enough about how these things are built to know for sure.
> Any ideas?

    We used to see that on the 19" round CRTs on the Air Force AN/FYQ-93
system.  As I recall, it was a static buildup on the protective glass
plate in front of the CRT.  The plate was supposed to be grounded by a
wire, but if the wire broke it would periodically discharge as you
described.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/