[rescue] Wanted - 3B2

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jul 7 16:02:34 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 03:39:57PM -0500, Jerry K wrote:
> Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> >Looking for a 3B2 for a friend.
> >Desktop style.
>
> I thought that the 3B1 was the desktop style, and the 3B2/3B2GR were the
> server/rack mount systems.

The 3b1 was a Unix Workstation based on a 68000 similar in concept to the old
desktop Sun 3's. Not very similar in implementation though.

The 3B2 was based on an AT&T designed processor and manufactured by Oliveti.
They were not desktop as in the small form factor of a PC, but the 3b2 300
was not much bigger than a PC/AT. I never used the larger ones. The 300
had a motherboard and a riser with 3 slots that took wide flat boards.
There was a significantly faster 400 with more slots and a 310, which was
a 400 motherboard in a 300 case with the shorter riser.

Geoff.