[rescue] E10000 looking for a new home

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 10:09:55 CDT 2008

This is an incredibly hard email to write, especially given all the
trouble I went through to acquire this system, but I'm looking for a new
home for my E10000.

The obvious questions:

Q: What are the specs?
A: It is a maxed out Sun Enterprise 10000, 64 CPUs (400 MHz
UltraSPARC-II), 64 GB Memory. The original owner stripped out the disk,
but there are several empty D130s that came with it. It also has an
Ultra 5 which acts as the domain controller.

Q: Why are you getting rid of it?
A: There are a few reasons:
   1. It is extremely expensive to run. It runs off 200-240 VAC, 47-63
      Hz, 24 A, per cord. There are 5 cords, although, I think you can
      run the system with less (depending on how many system boards you
      spin up). Sun says "Input Power: 13,456 W". They also say "Heat
      Output: 52,000 BTU/hr", so cooling is a factor as well.
   2. It is extremely difficult to move. It is currently located in
      downtown Chicago (in the Red Hat office), but getting it there was
      very painful (I literally had to strip the system down to the
      frame just to get it in the building). On top of that, I'm no
      longer in Chicago (I'm in Boston now), and it couldn't move with
      me. Oh yes, did I mention that it weighs approximately 2000 lb?
      Dimensions are 70 inches H x 38.25 inches W x 49.9 inches D.
      (basically, slightly wider and deeper than a full rack).
   3. It is loud. Not "wow, that thing is loud", but "bleeding from my
      ears" loud. Even when it is idle, with no domains spun up, the
      white noise coming off that thing is unbelievable.
   4. It is slow. Not so much of a concern from a collection/rescue
      perspective, but aside from a bragging perspective, it isn't
      terribly useful for Linux/SPARC work (the original reason for
      donation). I asked several entities whether they would consider
      picking up the bill for moving it, and none of them could
      justify the cost (although, some of them offered to replace it
      with newer equipment).
   5. It is expensive to move to Boston. Red Hat agreed to let it sit in
      their facility in Boston (powered off), but it would cost about
      $8000 to move it properly (SunMoves), and about half that to do
      it with volunteers, which is still a lot of money that neither I
      nor the Fedora SPARC effort has.

Q: Why don't you just sell it?