[rescue] good sources for USIII + systems

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 15:11:43 CST 2008

On 1/27/08, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com>
> >Date: 2008/01/27 Sun AM 11:15:19 CST
> >To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [rescue] good sources for USIII + systems
>
> <snip>
>
> >We just got a Cray at work, one of the new XT-4's. It doesn't have
> >many nodes, just 20-odd, but it's scaleable to MANY more. I don't
> >really understand how it's set up, but it looks like there's some sort
> >of complex system in which there are several types of nodes and a
> >bunch of different networks... doesn't seem as well laid-out as the
> >Blue Gene, but still pretty cool.
> >You wouldn't use it for serving webpages, though.
>
> Depends on who's paying the power bill ;^)
>
> (after all, this is Rescue)
>
> Lionel

The United States citizenry is paying the power bill in this case...
it's at Sandia National Labs.
You should see the cooling fan that sits above a hole in the raised
floor... it's, oh, at least 2 feet in diameter and very powerful. It
takes up a big chunk of the bottom 1/5 of the rack, along with the
power supplies.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn