[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Aaron Finley nerp at atfinley.com
Tue Jan 22 10:46:41 CST 2008

I'm looking for a cheap PC to act as a server, meaning something under a
$1000. Dell's octocore SC1430 fit the bill, but that offer seems no
longer. Anyone know if it will come back around again?

My final configuration needs to be something like:

- Quiet (will be behind a couch in my living room)
- Dual core/quad core
- 12-16GB of RAM
- 200-300GB of Storage (can be cheap SATA, this is a home testbed)

Anyone know of something that fits the bill? I'm willing to go a couple
generations behind - a Dual Xeon would work, and then I could add the
RAM and storage to it and come in under budget.

-- Aaron