[rescue] AS/400? Anyone?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Jan 21 10:15:30 CST 2008

(cc'ed to geeks, as if this thread goes farther, it should probably be
there.)

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:51:44PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> [...]
>
>> The traditional view (at least over here) is that American beer is mostly
>> lager whereas traditional British beer is one form or another of ale. Very
>> different beers.
>>

> Most beer drunk is Britain appears to be mass-produced horsepiss, same as
> the US. The brands are different, but it still has to be served sufficiently
> cold so you don't get to taste how foul it is.

I'm pretty sure that is true anywhere in the world.  The biggest problem
that i have with MGD, Budweiser, etc.  is that after several of them i
always get a headache.  Always.  I can drink the same amount of "better"
beer, which usually has higher alcohol content, and not get a headache,
but anytime i start drinking "macrobrews", i end up with a headache.  I
don't care what that idiot in the budweiser commercials says, there are
plenty of impurities in their beer, otherwise, i don't think this would
happen.  There is good lager in the world, however.  I don't like lager
as much as ale, but threre are a few that i like to drink, particularly
in the summertime.  Right now, we're in the middle of
stout/dopplebock/barleywine season for me though.
> Anybody who finds themselves in London should ping me and I'll show them
> some backstreet boozers that do some cracking beer. Some of it's even
> American beer.

I'd love to take you up on that offer.  I've wanted to visit London for
quite some time now.  Flights from Chicago O'Hare to London Heathrow
tend to come up very cheaply from time to time.
>> Of course none of this comes to close to proper (hard) cider, which should
>> be still, cloudy, strip the enamel from your teeth, claw down your throat
>> and sit uneasily in your stomach. And preferably have a fearsome name like
>> "Swamp Donkey" :)
>>

> The Coach and Horses just off Leicester Square quite often sells cider or
> perry that needs a knife and fork to drink. And now I've started thinking
> about it, I know where I'm going to after work...

Any idea if there's any good cider and perry exported to the US?  It's
definately not as popular here, the best cider I've had here is
Strongbow, which definately does NOT fit your description above.  Most
of the rest of it is much too sweet for me.  A knife and fork cider
would be quite interesting to me.

    -Dan Sikorski