[rescue] AS/400? Anyone?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jan 19 09:57:06 CST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 03:07:47PM +0000, Mark wrote:

> Have IBM ever done anything that is a good General Purpose machine? A lot of
> people think POWER is too floating point biased. Cell BE definitely is.

The 370. It's instruction set included decimal, binary and floating point
arithmetic, decent multiprocessor support, etc.

The instruction set was so rich that except for conversion to and
from various forms of numbers (binary to floating point for example),
and I/O, COBOL programs could be translated into one instruction
per statment.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838