[rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Wed Jan 9 07:13:25 CST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 02:07 , Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> One word... FireWire :) I never buy an enclosure without it, and
>>> never
>>> use USB 2.0 on Macs if I can help it.
>>
>> I have thought about building a Firewire drive to replace my external
>> 500GB USB2 drive, but I don't know what kind of drive is inside, and
>> taking the Seagate FreeAgent apart might not be reversible.
>>
>> Why do these idiots deliberately cripple their enclosures?
>
> FWIW, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Lacie Big Disk Extreme.  Up
> 2TB and USB 2.0, Firewire and Firewire 800 interfaces.  It Just
> Works(tm).

My 500GB BDE Just Died A Horrible Death(tm). Internally, the Big Disk
Extreme is a RAID-0, and one of my drives suffered a violent death
after a year. Made a truly awful screeching noise.
I pulled the bad drive out and replaced it with another one myself,
with 100% data loss of course.

Dave

David Muran-de Assereto
dmuran at tuad.org