[rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 9 07:02:26 CST 2008

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/01/09 Wed AM 01:07:07 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

>Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> One word... FireWire :) I never buy an enclosure without it, and never
>>> use USB 2.0 on Macs if I can help it.
>>
>> I have thought about building a Firewire drive to replace my external
>> 500GB USB2 drive, but I don't know what kind of drive is inside, and
>> taking the Seagate FreeAgent apart might not be reversible.
>>
>> Why do these idiots deliberately cripple their enclosures?
>
>FWIW, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Lacie Big Disk Extreme.  Up to
>2TB and USB 2.0, Firewire and Firewire 800 interfaces.  It Just Works(tm).

I like eSATA, and esp. this Antec SATA case:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77150

It's on sale at micro center for about $40 after rebate...

I also recently picked up a small notebook HD case that I like too, it
supports both SATA and IDE 2.5" drives, and USB 2.0 and eSATA (for SATA drives
only), I think it was about $20 at microcenter.com (it's a Thermaltake case):

http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/Storage/25_solutions/ea2005_2006/ea2005_2006
.asp

To veer back to the original topic, has anyone added a SATA controller to a
Sun Blade "era" system and hung external SATA drives off it for storage (not
booting)? I just got an XVR-1000 for my Sun Blade 1000 and I may take the
plunge and try adding a SATA card and I was wondering if anyone has gone down
this path already...

Lionel