[rescue] Exabyte drive/tape question

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Jan 8 07:30:04 CST 2008

Carl R. Friend wrote:
>     On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>

>> Anyone ever use the XL tapes (7G capacity) in 8500/8500C
>> tape drives ?
>>

>     I've had no success with the 160m XL tapes in 8500/8500C
> drives.  It's not a wear problem; they just don't work.

As I understood it, Exabyte half height drives that don't support the XL
tapes will eject the tape.  But I could have sworn I read that they worked
in the full height 8500/8500c drives, but Exabyte says it will lead to
premature wear/mech/tape failure....  but I could have sworn reading
about it being done.

-- Curt