[rescue] flash failure

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Jan 1 10:30:29 CST 2008

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>

>> Looks like the flash is soldered to the mobo, and the manual does not
>> mention any sort of floppy recovery procedure...
>>

> Gigabyte says:
>
>    http://www.gigabyte.eu/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_Model.aspx?FAQID=1504&ProductID=1768
>
> So there may or may-not be a feature there to restore the firmware
> image.  I've no clue how you'd activate it, but it's called "Xpress BIOS
> Rescue".

Sadly, it appears for this to work, you had to be running Windows, and
had to have
this option installed... it somehow recovers from the hard disk....
(versus a floppy
like Award).

Sadly, unless Gigabyte sends me a new ROM (doubtful), and I want to
attempt to remove
and solder in the replacement, I think this mb is dumpster bound.  It is
the last Gigabyte
product I'll own unless Gigabyte does something to remedy (for me) their
shoddy design/
firmware/updater mess.  This WAS a perfectly good board.

The vendors have always said don't update the BIOS unless you have a
need to ( didn't
specifically have a 'real' need to).... now I know why... they know this
stuff can fail
to easily (even when done right).

<sigh>

-- Curt