[rescue] Dead octane?

Ian Finder ian.finder at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 20:45:51 CST 2008

My SGI Crimson recently had a dead PSU after a few mos. of inactivity--
 PSUs often die between being disconnected for an extended period of time
and being reconnected again.

Anyway to the point-- Black handle is Lucent-- More failure prone,
lower-spec, older PSU. I have one in my octane. The pop is the cord arcing.
With most lucents I've seen, upon cycling the input power off 30 seconds, on
30 seconds or so, you'll hear a soft relay click. This is generally a sign
of good standby DC output, but is by no means a definite sign of a fully
operational PSU. You will only hear this click when connecting and
disconnecting the mains-- it doesn't happen any other times, if my
recollection is correct.
The crackle you hear is most definitely normal arcing of the connection to
live power, nothing more.

If I were a doctor, the original symptoms, plus the lack of a click and the
black handle-- when referenced with the experiences I've had with these
beasts-- would make me write a prescription for a new PSU with almost
complete confidence. As a last ditch, if you aren't ready to look for a
replacement, pull the PSU out, smack it around a bit, and look inside
(carefully-- high voltage inside) for anything obvious like a blown fuse or
charring, and maybe reseat it and try it again.

But if I were you I'd already be checking Nekochan and GreedBay for
replacements.

Good luck!

-- I