[rescue] Powermac G5 V.s. MacBook

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Dec 10 10:21:50 CST 2008

> The only thing that would make any sense would be to port OSX Server to
> higher end hardware, like POWER (unlikely) or SPARC. That only if Apple
> decides to actually try to play in the "enterprise" space which they
> have shown themselves woefully under-equipped in doing.

As much as I like POWER and SPARC, I think the Intel i7 (terrible name, I
know) will be very competitive in that space.  Intel finally has Quick
Path Interconnect done, a point-to-point system like Hypertransport, and
next year will be rolling out the high-end multi-socket stuff (yay Intel's
old bus is finally going away! only took waaay too many years...)  The i7
can also do macro-ops fusion in 64-bit mode finally, too.  Now if only
more companies would adopt EFI...

- Nate