[rescue] Need Powermac G5- Dual 2.0 Ghz or better

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue Dec 9 08:12:46 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> I guess I never really swallowed the Apple "PPC is so much better than
>
>> Intel" pill, but how sure are you that a dual core2 macbook will be
>> slower than a dual G5?
>> I would suspect that you may not benefit from this deal all that much.
>>

> I don't know.  A MacBook has one FW400 port and one USB port.
>
> Good audio interfaces past 4 channels will be quite expensive for the
> MacBook, while PCI audio interfaces are relatively cheap and can often be
> combined.

That's true, too. Also, graphics comes into play. Up until the current
product rev the macbooks had arguably lousy Intel graphics chips which could
essentially slow things down. Now they're using nVidia stuff. Not sure, but
I wager the old G5-based system had a nicer graphics setup than the prior
macbook line.