[rescue] Need Powermac G5- Dual 2.0 Ghz or better

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Dec 9 08:00:02 CST 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

>> I would suspect that you may not benefit from this deal all that
>> much.
>
> I agree.
> Now if someone could figure out how to put a CELL processor in an old
> Mac, that would be an interesting machine to me.

It isn't hard to figure out how to put a Cell in a G5.  The only
difficulty is figuring out how to pay for it since the Mercury and
IBM cell cards are very expensive.

> You can get Linux for
> a PS/3 which would make it one heck of a Linux machine, but since it
> would not IMHO outperform a cheap PC of the same price, why bother?

You don't think that a PS3, running at 3.2ghz with a dual threaded
PPC core and 6 SPEs is faster than a $400 PC which is probably only a
2.4ghz C2D?

> Especially here where due to the low value of the dollar, a PS/3 was
> selling for $1000 last summer.

I thought the dollar being bad was supposed to make it cheaper.