[rescue] Powermac G5

Brendan Shanks bkshanks at engineering.ucsb.edu
Mon Dec 8 15:42:15 CST 2008

On Dec 8, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Michael Parson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Christopher Purdy wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the heads up regarding the G5 coolant issues!
>>>
>>> I'm in Michigan, Near Flint.
>>>
>>> As to the Mac-Pro question - I figured there would be too much of
>>> a difference in price between the two, but I'd gladly trade for a
>>> Mac Pro of any version!
>>>
>>> So, are all the G5's liquid cooled?
>>
>> The Dual 2.0Ghz model is not liquid cooled.
>
> All dual 2.0s aren't liquid cooled, or only some aren't liquid
> cooled?  I seem to recall that there were at least three significant
> revisions of the dual 2.0,

LEM has a nice summary <http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-
g5.html>:
All of the 2.5 GHz and 2.7 GHz Power Mac G5 models use liquid cooling,
and the June 2004 2.5 GHz and April 2005 2.7 GHz G5s sometimes have
problems with their cooling systems, particularly coolant leaks. In
its Power Mac G5 Reliability, MacInTouch notes the 3-4% of these
models had cooling-related repairs when the survey was taken in June
2006. There were far fewer reports of cooling system problems with the
2.5 GHz G5 Quad.

I think this leaves the dual 2.3 as the fastest air-cooled G5. Even
without the LCS, the G5s still weren't super-reliable as a family:
MacInTouch mentions logic boards and power supplies as common problems
with all the G5s.

Brendan