[rescue] Trimming down Solaris 10

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:38:09 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's the universal installer that requires it. But once installed,
>> guess what? *whispers* You dont need it. I've been known to install on
>> a full install, package up the oracle install and move it again and
>> again on a sun box with no X.
>
> Exactly. The product I consult on and support has embedded Oracle
> underneath. Unfortunately because we use their web installer in
> command-line and silent mode, even though it is a "web" installer it
> requires the X11 libraries (which I believe are a requirement of the
> Java app it is built with/upon.)

Have you tried xvfb (virtual frame buffer x server)? Might be enough
to get it going all the way...

>> But if you use all the newfangled 10g/11g features, you might not be
>> totally able to do it. Also, when it comes to applying oracle patches,
>> you'll face hardship. On 10gR2 though I am running with a single patch
>> applied.
>
> You should be able to do "opatch apply" w/o a GUI....

Yes, that's what I did. I didn't even know you could apply a patch
(not an upgrade) with a gui. I was talking more about the data it
stores in the repository. It has some host specific junk that causes
issues when moving stuff from one host to another.

Francois