[rescue] SGI Indigo2 & IRIX 6.5

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Dec 1 14:45:36 CST 2008

> Linux, however, in its many varied distributions,
> generally -ships with- desktop environments that are either severely
> minimalistic (Xorg + twm) or bloated to silliness (GNOME, KDE),

What bugs the heck out of me is that the Linux 'movement' as a whole would
do well to stop futzing around and re-inventing the wheel over and over
and over again with all these parallel efforts (even if projects like
Enlightenment *claim* to not be competing with KDE and GNOME they are).

The Linux 'community' is so fragmented into separate camps that they can't
see the forest for the trees.  They talk the talk about being a desktop
OS, but they don't walk the walk.  Maybe open source development as a
whole is just incompatible with the kind of leadership, hierarchy, and
vision needed for a solid, clearly expressed desktop experience.

- Nate