[rescue] Parallel ports [was Re: Slightly OT: ?Bad Cap Saga]

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri Aug 22 15:38:44 CDT 2008

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Brooke Gravitt wrote:

> At at this point, what are you using floppies for, anyway?

    Well, it depends on what one it trying to keep alive in one's
"stable".  I have plenty of "elder machines" (not really all that
"elder" as things go) that need such artefacts if one is trying
to "bare-metal" load them.  So, from the historian's perspective,
especially the "operational historian", floppies are a *very*
valuable resource, as is the capability to read/write them.

    Note that the above argument also includes 5 1/4" floppies as well
as 8" floppies (both soft- and hard- sectored).