[rescue] Cheap GbE PCI adapter for SPARC/x86/x64 Solaris

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 10:55:49 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 04:32:26PM +0100, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> If you're planning to use 9K Jumbo frames I would steer clear of the Realtek
> chipset cards, according to the re(4) man page on OpenBSD:
> "The RealTek 8169, 8169S and 8110S chips are only capable of transmitting
> Jumbo frames up to 7440 bytes in size."

Realtek can't make network cards for toffee.

I bought some GigE network cards without checking the chipset, and ended up
with a Realtek. Sighing, I stuffed it into the system and gave it a spin. It
wouldn't do full-duplex GigE, just half-duplex GigE or full-duplex FE.
Suspecting a dodgy cable, I tried that on a couple of different machines and
they worked just fine. And its half-duplex GigE would only do about 11MB/s
anyway - exactly the same as FE.

Given how bad they are, I wouldn't take those network cards for free.