[rescue] Serial ports [was Parallel ports [was Re: Slightly OT: ?Bad Cap Saga]]

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 10:25:00 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 06:33:53PM -0400, Eric Railine wrote:
[...]
> Windows for this particular set of symptoms, but I've seen random
> flakiness under Linux as well. I haven't tried a USB serial adapter under
> Mac so I can't speak for that.

FWIW, my generic USB serial dongle Just Works on my MBP. Plug it in and a
device node appears in /dev/, and it looks like any other serial port.

I recall a bit of cussing of minicom to get it to work, but that was down to
the usual hassle of trying to work out what baud rate, parity, stop bits and
handshaking the remote device was doing, and no fault due to the dongle. As
far as minicom was concerned, it might as well have just been speaking to
/dev/ttyS* on a Linux box.