[rescue] Parallel ports [was Re: Slightly OT: ?Bad Cap Saga]

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Thu Aug 21 23:41:14 CDT 2008

In article <200808220430.AAA25423 at Sparkle.Rodents-Montreal.ORG>,
    der Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG>  writes:

> I've moved small fractions of my applications into the kernel, inside
> the lpt driver.  This was feasible because I was talking to, y'know, a
> parallel port: write bits here and they show up on these wires, read
> from there and you get the signals from those wires.  If I'd had
> something like USB getting underfoot, this would probably have been
> somewhere between annoying and impossible, instead of trivially easy.

...but meanwhile, this whole discussion is moot because you haven't
actually tried it with USB, have you?  You qualify your statements as
something akin to "I haven't tried it, but it probably won't work" but
I don't see anything convincing me it won't work, just that you're too
much of a stick in the mud on this issue to give it a try.