[rescue] FTGH: Sun CPU modules

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 14:13:48 CDT 2008

> > --- On Thu, 8/21/08, Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
> >
> >> If any of them will run in a U10 or an E450 I'll be
> >> happy to take them off your hands.
> >
> >From what I recall, the U10 uses an entirely different
> > style of CPU module.  (i.e., a "bare board" that plugs
> > flat)  These are shrouded in beige plastic with an
> > edge connector on one end.
>
> Oops.  You are correct sir.

Hmmm.. I found what I think is a U10 CPU (I no longer have
any U10's).  Three sets of numbers on it.  The bacoded
part number is way too frigging small for me to read.
There's another XXXX-XX number that borders on legibility.
But, still *another* barcode (on one of the connectors)
that *is* big enough for me to read.  The first part is
5149E1 which, if memory serves me, *should* be enough to
figure out the speed (?)

If it is of use, I'll add it to the pile (the good thing
about the USPS flat rate boxes is you can ship *lead* in them
for the same price!!  :>   I wonder if anyone has actually
tried that??)

> > IIRC, the 450 uses them -- can someone confirm this?
> > I think the 450MHz 4MB modules (there are at least
> > three of these in the box) came from an E450 or
> > something similar.
>
> If they fit my E450 I'd be happy to take them off your
> hands.  All I've got in there now is either one or two
> 300Mhz base processors.

Again, resorting to the labels (those that I can *find*!)
that are more readable than those frigging barcode labels,

of the four that I have labeled "450MHz 4MB", two say 5539HJ
on this "larger" barcode label, one says 5687A6xxx and the
last only has the ultraminiature label.

one labeled 300MHz 2MB appears to say 4196-05 on the metal
bracket on the underside of the PCB that attached the CPU
*chip* to the PCB

one labeled 360MHz 4MB *might* say "5239-02" (this is probably
not compatible with U2/U60 as I seem to recall the modules
with heatsinks on the *bottom* won't fit in those machines??)

a 296MHz label  says 4849-03

the others are just blurs to my sad old eyes  :<

(of course, there's no guarantee I got any of *these* right,
either!  :<  I really need to find a good pocket magnifying
glass!!)