[rescue] Serial ports [was Parallel ports [was Re: Slightly OT: ?Bad Cap Saga]]

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Aug 21 11:14:08 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 04:43:15PM +0200, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> USB serial ports sometimes work, sometimes don't.  Maybe it's me.

It would be interesting to try to work out if it is you or not.

The only time I wasn't able to make USB serial work was in some shell
scripts that output to serial on a Prolific USB dongle.  However, the
problem was the linux driver, not the device.  The author figure that
since it worked with minicom, that was good enough and didn't want to
bother fixing it to follow normal behaviour.  Grr.  He wasn't all that
interested in having patches submitted either.   In that case, changing
from bash scripts to a better language fixed it.

In all other cases, I've had no trouble.