[rescue] Parallel ports [was Re: Slightly OT: ?Bad Cap Saga]

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Aug 21 03:13:48 CDT 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

>> Particularly irritating is that the parallel port hardware is still
>> present on a great many of the "southbridge" I/O controllers.  It's
>> just disabled in a configuration register and not brought out to a
>> physical port.  At the very least, it'd be nice for there to be a
>> header somewhere (which would cost less than a penny, provided there's
>> sufficient board space), so that the end-user could have a parallel
>> port merely by connecting a cable.
>
> Would they? Then it actually has to work, be tested and the drivers kept
> up to date.

Drivers?  If it's on the southbridge I/O, it's on the LPC bus, which is
just a modern version of ISA (the physical interface differs, but not in a
way visible to software).  To software, it's at the same old spot it's
been since the PC/AT.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi