[rescue] Phaser ink

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 13:27:14 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 8/19/08, Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> > What I abhor is the waste when you have to run a cleaning cycle!
> > Since I only power the printers up when I need them (rarely),
> > it seems like I piss more ink into the waste tray than I ever
> > put on paper!
>
> This is why you're not supposed to turn them off.

Yes, obviously.  :<  I imagine the "dried" (congealed?) ink
clogs the nozzles and can't be completely "reliquified" -- at
least not *reliably* and consistently enough for "print
quality" so they just purge the nozzles comletely?

I've not looked into the technology.  I imagine it is more
similar to ink jet than, for example, thermal dye transfer?

> You can use energy saver sometimes,

Yeah, but that wastes electricity.

> but if you keep the printer on, you don't waste
> supplies in cleaning cycles.  The deep clean on the latest crop of
> phasers is far less wasteful than the original 3xx series, however.
> I was actually certified on the 3xx, 840/850/850/8200 and made my
> share of cap-wipe unit gasket repairs, print head repairs, and
> vacuum system repairs.  These machines are truly amazing.

They *look* considerably more complicated than other marking
engines!  By contrast, inkjet seems trivial...

> You probably don't want one if you don't print often.

Well, I surely wouldn't *buy* one -- given the amount of printing
(esp *color* printing!) that I do.  But, having said that, it seems
I have more "real estate" devoted to *printers*, here, than
*computers*!  :<

(My name is *mud* because there are two phasers sitting in the
front hallway waiting for me to find them more "permanent" homes
in the office.  Gee, I wonder how long I can leave them there
before I get read the Riot Act??  :<  )