[rescue] Phaser ink

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 16:46:19 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 8/19/08, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 8/19/08, Curious George <jorge234q at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > The 8200 ink is harder still, and seems shinier. It's
> > > more resiliant to remelting once it's on the pages, and
> > > the printouts hold up better in hot cars. It works in
> >
> > Ouch!  I hadn't thought of that (though it makes sense).
> > I've never left anything printed sitting in the car.
> > Would probably be worth trying with something disposable...
>
> As a frequent Phaser-user, I've left a lot of printouts
> in cars. They don't run or streak, but if you have
> something like a manual in a binder that's been printed
> on the Phaser, the ink sometimes causes the pages to begin
> to stick together. It won't really distort the printout
> though, it just sticks together and pulls apart with a
> creaky sound. Solid things, like MapQuest maps sometimes
> come out looking odd if you fold them in half and they get
> really hot though.

Is there any (visible) ink transfer as a result?

> But lay a hot soldering iron down on the schematic you
> printed on a Phaser, and...
>
> 3xx series ink is MUCH worse for this, and even seems to
> leech off the page with time. I had a stack of pages that
> sat in my computer room for a year or two, and when I went
> to look at them, the magenta ink had seeped off the pages,
> sticking to adjacent pages, and even going through the
> paper. It was really weird.

Yikes!

> > Yes.  And, you could easily remove the keyed portion of
> > the ink holder/feeder and swap it with one of a different
> > shape to accomodate other ink sticks.
>
> Exactly. Or, you don't even need to modify the ink or
> the printer. If you just wedge them in at an angle, starting
> with one short side, you can get them to pop past the guide.
> Hard as heck to get them back out though...
>
> > I have an 840, 860 and an 8200 (also a 560 but that's a
> > different beast entirely).  Stocking ink for *each* machine
> > is outrageously expensive.  So, I either have to pick
> > one machine and let the others run out *or* find ways
> > of sharing ink (e.g., I just inherited a batch of 850
> > blacks)
>
> When I wound up with more 850 ink than proper 840 ink, I
> swapped the ink loader from a scrapped 850 onto my 840. You
> could also just cut out the guides to make the holes square
> if you want to.
>
> I've had no problem interchanging any of the 8x0 ink
> between machines. I don't know what the long term
> effects of using 8x0 ink in an 8200 would be - but the 860
> ink seems to be the closest (a bit harder, shinier).

I would probably just try to use the 850 ink in my 840 and
leave the 8200 by itself.  A shame not to use all that ink!

> > Yeah, the quality of the resulting pages is absolutely
> > delightful!
>
> And it's fun to watch them duplex!

Do they need a separate duplexer for this?  I know my LJ4M+
did -- and *it* is amusing to watch.

Wouldn't you end up with *more* "sticky" problems on the
phaser if you printed double sided?  I only use mine for
"finished presentations" and, so, have always found single sided
to be almost preferable (move to next sheet instead of flip
to backside of sheet, etc.).  But, it would be nice to print
an archive copy of these things double-sided just to cut
down on the size of the stack of paper!