[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 19 13:08:33 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:46:25AM -0700, Curious George wrote:

>Exactly.  That was the issue I was alluding to when I said
>I wouldn't know how to design in an environment like this.

Neither does anyone else. That's why a big company will spread their
suppliers around.

>So, "they" take back warranty repair machines and don't just
>"discard" them?

No, I think they keep records of in warranty repairs and look at that.

>E.g., I think HP "fixes" many of its crapjet printers by just
>removing the electronics assembly at the rear and dumping the
>rest in a box of (hopefully recycled) plastic parts.  If so,
>they have no idea what sorts of mechanical failures they are
>trashing.

Nor do they care.

>So, there is no effort made to defend your "brand" -- just
>pick a new name and start over... (?)

I just said that. The same brand may never be used twice by the same company.
If it is a local brand (to that country), they just fix the things under
warranty, and people say, how nice, they gave me a new one when the old one
broke. :-)

Geoff.