[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Aug 18 21:30:05 CDT 2008

" From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG>
"
" > So they will make a custom line for WalMart only, which is crappy
" > even though the regular products are good.
"
" ...and that's their mistake.  Well, their first mistake.
"
" > Then the sales of the good stuff go down because "I can buy almost
" > the same thing at WalMart for half the price", and they are forced to
" > put cheap Chinese crap in their entire line in order to stay afloat.
"
" And that's their second; the right thing for them to have done would be
" to have told walmart "sorry, we can't afford to build to your price
" point any longer; go buy from someone else".

i used to think that 'snapper' was a silly name for a lawn mower
company, but that's exactly what they did to walmart when they came
calling.  they refused to dilute their brand by making a cheap model
just for walmart and they refused to reduce costs by offshoring
production, both because they felt loyalty to their workers and
because in their very seasonal business short supply lines and rapid
response are essential.  they understood their business.  they knew
they couldn't do it on walmart's terms.

" It constantly depresses me how many organizations are willing to trash
" a good reputation for the sake of some very short-term profit.

imho it comes from mgmt who know only the dollars and cents of their
business and not the actual business.

if there's one upside to the recent explosion in oil prices, it's that
spiraling transportation costs cut into walmart's business model.  and
it couldn't happen to a more deserving company.